Independently owned and operated by the Beverly Hills-based Edward Thomas Collection of Hotels (ETC Hotels), who also own Casa del Mar next door, Shutters on the Beach is a luxury hotel located on the beach in Santa Monica in Southern California.
A member of The Leading Hotels of the World, Shutters on the Beach offers two restaurants: One Pico and Coast Beach CafÃ© and Bar. One Pico, Shuttersâ signature restaurant, was designed and renovated by Michael S. Smith in the spring of 2008 and boasts a Wine Spectator award-winning wine list. Coast Beach CafÃ© & Bar opened its doors in the summer of 2007 and was designed by Jim Gillam.
The property on which Shutters sits, and where the old Edgewater club of the 1920s once stood, was abandoned and foreclosed when ETC purchased it in 1991. Shutters on the Beach opened its doors on June 8, 1993.
Design & style
The hotel architecture has been said to recall both East Coast beach homes and the traditional architecture of Americaâs beachfront resorts and inviting cottages of the Southern California coast during the 1920s and 1930s. Built by Hill Architects (Palo Alto, CA), the hotel's three separate buildings comprise the hotelâs structure, all visually linked by slate-grey shingled siding, balconies and cabana-striped awnings.
Artists represented in the hotel's collection include Jasper Johns, Frank Gehry, David Hockney, Roy Lichtenstein, Robert Motherwell, William Wegman, Richard Diebenkorn, Claes Oldenburg, as well as others.
Shutters on the Beach houses 186 guest rooms and 12 suites.
Interior designer Michael S. Smith was commissioned in 2005 to re-invent the hotel rooms. Many rooms at this hotel are configured to yield views of the coastline and Pacific Ocean. Four-poster beds, comfortable lounge chairs, walnut desks and nightstands, and custom-made white linens are signature aspects of the hotel's furnishings. Smith also designed ONE, the hotel's spa, which was his first-ever spa design.
Shutters is also notable for having partnered with famous designers, such as Joie, Kate Spade, and Claire Vivier.
Shop with the chef
Shutters offers a unique option. On Wednesdays, Chef Michael Reardon and staff take guests to the famous Santa Monica Farmers Market to select and influence the materials that will become that evening's special "Market Dinner" selection as described by travel writer Bill Tomicki in the ENTREE Travel Newsletter.
In popular culture
- In the 2003 film Somethingâs Gotta Give, Shutters' One Pico restaurant stood in for a Hamptons restaurant where Diane Keaton and Keanu Reeves's characters meet.
Awards & honors
- #14, Best Hotels in Los Angeles 2013 (U.S. News & World Report)
- Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2011 (One Pico), (Wine Spectator)
- Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2010 (One Pico), (Wine Spectator)
- #1, Best Southern California Coastal Getaways 2010 (Huffington Post)
- 500 World's Best Hotels, 2009 (Travel + Leisure)
- Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2009 (One Pico), (Wine Spectator)
- #83, Top 100 Hotels in Continental US & Canada 2008 (Travel + Leisure)
- Forbes Traveler 400, The World's Very Best Hotels and Resorts 2008 (Forbes Traveler)
- Most Iconic Beach Hotel, public vote (Beach Tomato)
- Shutters on the Beach
- Shutters on Facebook
- Shutters on Twitter
- Shutters blog
- Shutters Beach Style