0




The Red Sulphur Springs Hotel was an old spring resort in the small community of Red Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. It held a social event every evening. The last event held at the hotel was a dance. When a person died, to keep the hotel reputation, they secretly took the dead to a cemetery, about two miles away. Many markers in this cemetery have no name on them. The hotel opened in 1832 and closed in 1917. At one time Martin Van Buren, the president of the United States, came to the hotel. The owner at one time was Levi Morton, Vice President under Benjamin Harrison.In 1917 the hotel closed and was dismantled. There is only a small concrete base where the pavilion once stood.

Sources


Red Sulphur Springs Hotel - Special Collections@Virginia Tech | News from Special Collections ...
  • Red Sulphur Springs, Monroe County, Virginia By William Burke
  • The Red Sulphur Springs; Minister Morton's Hotel in the Happy Valley
  • Around the Red Sulphur; The Virginia Mountains and Their People.
  • Summer Letters.; Letter-Links between New-York and Virginia.
  • Summer Letters.; Letter-Links between New-York and Virginia.

External links


Red Sulphur Springs Hotel - Special Collections@Virginia Tech | News from Special Collections ...
  • "Taking the Waters: 19th Century Medicinal Springs: Red Sulphur Springs". Historical Collections at the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library. University of Virginia. 2007. 
  • Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. WV-120, "Red Sulphur Springs, Route 12, Red Sulphur Springs, Monroe County, WV"
  • HABS No. WV-120-A, "Red Sulphur Springs, Cottage"



Poskan Komentar

 
Top